Friday, March 20, 2009

Snow? Really?


Alright, so maybe to some people this isn't a big deal but for those of us (and/or just me) from the South, snow is kind of a big deal. Particularly large amounts of it. Within the first couple of days of being out here I woke up one day to a winter wonderland. Lots of fluffy white stuff. I mean, not tons, really a couple inches but everything was white. Of course the sun proceeded to come out and by noon 90% of it was gone.
Not so in the higher elevations though. Snowshoeing...now there's a crazy activity. We, and by we I mean the other people I spend ALL of my time with (and by that I mean the other kids on the owl crew, Teresa, Lynn and Ryan) went up to Glacier Point and went on a little hike/shoe (?). Not sure how to use that terminology...I have never seen that much snow in my life. Going to tropical locations in the winter months probably hasn't helped that situation any. ANYWAY, it was a lot of snow.
The best part about snowshoeing is when there isn't actually enough snow and and you end up making all kinds of horrible noises walking on a road with snowshoes on. Awesome. Hiking around snowy meadows at night is borderline a-mazing though, so it makes up for the occasional grating, scraping noises. I'm thinkin someone needs to invent pop-out snowshoes. Kind of like those shoes with the wheels...what are they called? eh...but really, who wouldn't want retractable snowshoes? Genius, really. Man, that's why they pay me the big bucks.

1 comment:

  1. Sharna,

    Your mom is back home! We might go hiking at Oconeechee today.Great start to your blog, looking forward to more posts. I've added your blog to my blog roll too!

    Randy

    ReplyDelete