Friday, March 20, 2009

The more recent past: Part 1

Jumped on a sailboat this winter. Yup, that's pretty much how it went. But really, I was finishing up banding and tagging in Virginia when I happened to learn about this wee little trip down south during one of my numerous visits to the local coffeeshop. I contemplated the idea... (I mean, who would turn down an opportunity to go to Puerto Rico on a boat?) and finally managed to drag myself down to where the boat was docked. It took me a while to actually go down to the boat seeing as I developed a case of shyness. Anyway, I introduced myself, asked if I could join and before I knew it I was cleaning out the refrigerator on deck. Six days later we were sailing out of the Cheasapeake Bay, headed south to Puerto Rico. Had I ever been sailing before you might ask? Ummm...no. Did I know anyone on the boat prior to signing on? Ummm...not so much. Was it super awesome and would I do it again? Most definitely!The first 5 days or so were pretty darn cold and we ran into some not so great weather which sent us on a 400 mile detour around Bermuda. Laura and a rainbow.
Arrival in San Juan, PR. Big ol' fort. El Morro. Warm weather and mojitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment